August 10, 2011

thanks

Derek Goto (Hokkaido University)

I was originally going to write about a different topic today, but realised I also wanted to say some comments about the recent RNA meeting, so this will be the first of two posts today!

First, I really want to convey my thanks and appreciation to everyone involved in organisation of the recent 2011 RNA Meeting (Kyoto, 14-18 June 2011). I thoroughly enjoyed the meeting, not only did I learn so much new information, it was a great chance for informal and stimulating discussions about our research both with old friends and new friends made during the meeting.

There were two things I was really surprised about for various reasons:
1) How smooth everything actually ran. Of course I couldn't see all aspects and sessions of the meeting, but one of the impressive things was how there never seemed to be any confusion about where to go and there was an abundance of helpful staff to guide attendees and provide support. I am also not aware of any instance of computer trouble in a presentation - at your average meeting I think at least one person ends up having some kind of trouble, considering the number of presentations at the RNA meeting, this alone speaks about how smooth things ran! Sure, there may have been some murmurs about amount of food, but it is important to put this in context with the actual cost of the meeting - it was extremely cheap relative to other meetings of similar quality. Considering the quality of the English-competent support staff and meeting venue, the fact that there was even good quality lunch and dinner, the fantastic final night banquet, and the abundant opportunities for interaction, I rate both the cost and quality of the meeting excellent!

2) The large international attendance
I was also very surprised to see such a large international attendance, particularly in light of recent disaster in the Tohoku region and ongoing concerns about safety. I am sure the organisers had to deal with a deluge of requests for more information and sudden changes in planned schedules etc. Considering other international meetings were cancelled this year due to loss of international attendance, the organisers did a stunning job to keep this meeting running. I was expecting only small international attendance, and I am not sure of the actual numbers, but it felt like at least 60% of attendees were from overseas. I am very grateful to overseas RNA scientists who made the decision to continue through with coming to Japan and attending the meeting. I certainly benefited from meeting new overseas RNA researchers, and I am sure this was an invaluable experience for students in Japan who were able to attend.

The meeting also served as a timely reminder for me about the importance of interaction. I had some great stimulating conversations with scientists from the UK that provided very helpful ideas for our research. I met them almost by chance - I noticed one of them looking at my poster when I walked past the poster hall during a lunch break, so I went up to them to explain that this was my poster and would be happy to explain or answer any questions either then or later. Even though they work on a different topic, we ended up talking a lot during the meeting and it turns out we have a lot of colleagues in common - not only did I gain much helpful discussion I also consider that I made new friends to look forward to meet again in the future.

My only regret from the meeting was that my students weren't able to attend. Fortunately there seem to be many opportunities for RNA scientists to interact in Japan, such as the upcoming RNA Frontier Meeting 2011. One of my students will be attending that, so please say hello if you see him there!

No comments:

Post a Comment